Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS)
To improve the health status of women and children under 6 years the Integrated Child Development Services has been launched on October 2nd, 1975 on the eve of Mahatma Gandhiji’s birthday, and the scheme is now on its 42ndth year.
This programme was initially launched in three blocks of Tamil Nadu, Nilakottai block (Rural) of Dindigul district, Tali Block (Tali) of Krishnagiri district and Poonamallee Block (Urban) of Kanchipuram District and now its has been functioning in all blocks of Tamil Nadu.
The major objective of ICDS is to improve their nutritional status and health of children under 6 years, Pregnant Women, Lactating Mothers and Adolescent Girls and to reduce the IMR and MMR to achieve the status of ‘Towards Malnutrition Free Tamil Nadu’ . The specific objectives are
- To improve the physical, mental, social, language and motor development of the children under 6 years by providing pre school education.
- To improve the health status and knowledge of the pregnant women, lactating mothers and the adolescent girls and to encourage healthy lifestyle.
- To mobilize the community towards the smooth functioning of the scheme.
Beneficiaries of ICDS
|Children under the age group of 0-6 month||Immunization, Growth Monitoring, Referral Services if needed|
|Children under the age group of 6 months – 1 year||Immunization, Growth Monitoring, Supplementary feeding, Vitamin A Prophylaxis, Referral Services if needed|
|Children under the age group of 1-2 years||Immunization, Growth Monitoring, Supplementary feeding, Vitamin A Prophylaxis, Egg on every Wednesday,Referral Services if needed|
|Children under the age group of 2-5+ years||Immunization, Growth Monitoring, Supplementary feeding, Vitamin A Prophylaxis, Noon Meal feeding, Preschool Education, Referral Services if needed|
|Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers (mothers of 0-6 months children)||Immunization, Growth Monitoring, Supplementary feeding, Vitamin A Prophylaxis, Nutrition and Health Education, Referral Services if needed|
|Adolescent Girls (11-19 years)||Orientation Training, Vocational Training, Nutrition and Health Education, Supplementary Nutrition and Growth Moni9toring through SABLA scheme|
Services provided in Anganwadi Centres
- Early registration of pregnancy
- Monthly growth monitoring and immunization
- Supplementary nutrition and nutrition and health education
- Supplementary Nutrition
- Weight Taking and Growth Monitoring
- Beneficiaries Home Visit
- Preschool Education
- Early screening and identification disability
- Deworming, Vitamin A prophylaxis and Iron and Folic Acid administration to the child beneficiaries
- Nutrition and health education for the pregnant women, lactating mothers and adolescent girls
- Hot cooked Noon Meal
|Monday||Tomato Rice + Egg/Banana|
|Tuesday||Vegetable Rice + Bengal Gram/Green Gram|
|Wednesday||Vegetable Pulao + Egg/Banana|
|Thursday||Lemon Rice + Egg/Banana|
|Friday||Dhal Rice + Potato|
All the above services were provided through the Anganwadi Centres which covers 500-1000 population in each Village Panchayat, Town Panchayat, Municipality and Corporation. A Mini Anganwadi is providing all these services hamlets where the population count is under 300-500.
Hence there are 2035 Anganwadi Centres are functioning and the Anganwadi Worker and Helpers are the grass root level agencies of ICDS to provide all the services to the beneficiaries.
For more details contact
District Programme Officer
ICDS – Dindigul – 624001
Phone No. : 0451 – 2422351